Just saw this on a BBC News story titled Duke Nukem Forever returns in 2011 after a 13-year wait.
The original Duke Nukem, released in 1991, popularised the concept of 3D shooters. Developed by iD Software, the game saw players shooting their way around a German castle.
It was actually:
- Released in 1991 (they got that right)
- Incredibly 2d. The only 3D in the game IIRC was the effect on the spinning turrets.
- Nothing to do with the growth of 3D shooters (read first-person shooters)
- Developed and published by the great Apogee Software.
- It was about an evil doctor taking over the world with his robot (and biological) minions, not Nazis.
What they described was (obviously)
Spider Solitaire Wolfenstein 3D.
About Oli: I’m a Django and Python programmer, occasional designer, Ubuntu member, Ask Ubuntu moderator and technical blogger. I occasionally like to rant about subjects I should probably learn more about but I usually mean well.